Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Memorial Day Reflection

Opening Reflection

Each Memorial Day I think about my first visit to the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C. and the names.  Of course it is the names.  For me, the most powerful thing about all those names, was not the ones that were there, but one particular name that was NOT.  My dad flew 123 combat missions over North Vietnam.  Standing there I felt overwhelming thankfulness that his name was not on that wall, that he had come home, taught me to throw a ball, cast a fly rod, grill steaks, change the oil, rip a board on a table saw, make bread and a million other things including identifying wild flowers in the woods.  Then immediately I felt an overwhelming grief and horrible guilt because so many names WERE on that wall and their deaths had left gaping holes in the lives of so many families and friends.  

So it is on Memorial Day.  We remember those in the other airplane, the ones who stepped on the other piece of ground, rode in the other seat, were sleeping in the other compartment, served on the other ship, drove down the other side of the road, those who did not come home.  We give thanks for their service and their sacrifice.  We wrestle with the survivor’s guilt we know deep in our hearts that they, of all people, would tell us to let go of and we do our best to live each day to the fullest knowing that caring deeply for each other here, is the best way to honor the gift they gave there.  May we remember their sacrifice not only on Memorial Day, but every day and may that memory inspire us to work for the day no new names need to be added to our Memorial Day remembrances.   

A Reading from the Gospel of John

Jesus said, “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command you.  I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.  You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name.  I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

The Prayers

Let us pray:  Eternal God, we give thanks for all those who have shown the greatest love by laying down their lives for others. We especially thank you for those in our military throughout history who have sacrificed their lives for their fellow citizens and for those who came after. As we remember their service, keep us mindful of all those for whom this day is filled with grief. Send your spirit of comfort to them. Be present with all the women and men who are serving in the military today.  Though they are at war, let them live for the peace which passes all understanding. Help us to be worthy of their legacy, and keep us mindful of their service, that in all things we may live our lives in praise and thanksgiving to you; through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

Let us pray together, the Lord’s Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven,
     hallowed be thy name,
     thy kingdom come,
     thy will be done,
          on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
     as we forgive those
          who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
     but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
     and the power, and the glory,

     forever and ever. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words, Erik. Spoken so clearly, and with passion and compassion.

    ReplyDelete