Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Padre Pollo's Costa Rican Arroz con Pollo

I say it is Costa Rican, but it's not exactly authentic.  It's basically the best I can do from my memory of our trips to Costa Rica with the resources I have here in Maine.  In spite of that, our family really enjoys it and it has become a regular dish for us.  Several folks have asked me to share the recipe so here it is!    

9 oz. Package of Vigo Saffron Yellow Spanish Rice or 
8 oz. Box of Goya Yellow Rice  
2 Cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped into bite sized pieces
Chicken broth
1 Medium Onion coarsely chopped
2 Bell Pepper coarsely chopped (red, yellow or orange)
1 Cup Carrot Shreds
1 Can Tender Young Peas
1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro coarsely chopped
Lawry's Salt to taste

Make the package of rice according to the package directions, substituting chicken stock for the water.  In a separate pan, sauté the onion, pepper and carrot until cooked but retains some firmness.  Add the chicken and peas to the sautéed vegetables and warm through.  Set aside and keep warm until the rice if done.  When the rice is done, add the coarsely chopped cilantro to the meat and vegetables and stir then mix in the rice.  Season with Lawry's Salt to taste. 

I usually use the meat from what's left on a store bought rotisserie chicken after we've used the breast meat for sandwiches or another meal.  I also make the chicken broth by simmering the carcass (after I've removed the meat) with some onion and carrot for about 30 minutes, but you can use canned chicken stock and any source of cooked chicken.  If you have access to Salsa Lizano that would add an essential authentic flavor to this dish but I don't have any now.  I'm hoping to get some as soon as we can travel back to Costa Rica!

No comments:

Post a Comment