Saturday, March 1, 2014

We Support Kalei Wilson

(Background:  Kalei Wilson is a high school student in North Carolina that attempted to start a secular club at her school to support students that were not part of a faith group.  At first her club was not even allowed to form at all.  Later it was allowed but now she and her family have been receiving a lot of hate… much of it from Christians.  Rev. Mark Sandlin of The God Article asked for blogs of support for this courageous young woman.  I'm happy to do just that!)   

Dear Kalei,

I'm a Lutheran pastor from Maine with two teenaged daughters and strong ties to North Carolina.  I have a niece in high school there and I graduated from NC State a long time ago.  A Presbyterian pastor friend of mine suggested sending you an open letter of support and I thought it was a wonderful idea.  I hope these words of support and encouragement boost you up as you deal with the garbage that has come your way.  It is always hard to listen to the mean things people say, even when you are on the right side of something like you are.  I know you don't know me but I hope this gives even a tiny speck of encouragement to you and your family.  

Finally, I would like to apologize for the behavior of those Christians who have been so hateful to you and your family.  Providing support for people who feel different from the those around them is one of the greatest things we can do for one another in this life and taking the time and energy to organize a place for that is what makes you stand out as a leader and it is what will eventually cut through the ugliness and make this world a better place.  Thank you for taking a risk for compassion and staying strong!

Hang in there Kalei!  There are tons of folks behind you!

Erik


No comments:

Post a Comment